Amish Acres

Amish Acres® Historic Farm and Heritage Resort is Listed in the National Register of Historic Places. It is America's most complete Amish heritage experience featuring historic interpretation, culinary and performing arts, lodging, and shopping.

Friday, October 19, 2007

Tornado

An Amish farmer pedals his bicycle by an Indiana State Police helicopter as it lands near The Round Barn Theatre at Amish Acres in Nappanee, Indiana to pick up Federal Homeland Security officials to assess the widespread damage from the tornado that cut a swath of destruction across the city Thursday night at 10:20 p.m. An official estimated following the aerial survey that nearly 100 houses were damaged of which 30 or more were destroyed along with severe damage to numerous manufacturing and commercial establishments along a diagonal corridor covering over twenty miles to the north and south of Nappanee.

We have received hundreds of calls today from across the United States asking about our well being. The Inn at Amish Acres and The Nappanee Inn are open for business following a night of darkness. Amish Acres will reopen Saturday at 10:00 a.m. with all of its attractions. Many of our friends, business associates, and employees are not as fortunate as we are and are receiving heroic assistance from police, fire, and EMS personnel. A community's true spirit of mutual aid comes to the fore during these diasters. Times like these humble those who are spared.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shana said...

Hi Dick:

Yesterday was a rough day: first I learned that a close friend who has been in the hospital for some time is now at her deathbead, and then I heard about the tornado that destroyed Nappanee. I watched the news as much as I could, scanning the broadcasts for video of the farm. My two young stepsons were with us, so I didn't want to be so morbid...we sat down to a pre-Halloween screening of Poltergeist instead!

Thank goodness for blogs. I got up this morning, went straight for your Web site, which I haven't checked in some time (the giant jar of Unkers I took with me in 2000 is still going strong), and scanned the left navigation for the blog, which somehow, I knew you would be keeping.

I was happy, certainly, to hear that there was no loss of life in this storm, but additionally relieved to know that it didn't take the roof right off that round barn, and that you all are opening for business this morning.

I'll make it back there eventually, and it's good to know Amish Acres will be there when I do.

Let me know if there is anything I can do or if there is a particular charity that is proving most effective in putting Nappanee back together. I'll encourage my friends and family to consider it.

Best,
Shana Herb Johannessen
onetime "Dolly Tate," et al

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your site and have enjoyed checking it out. I was in Nappannee the weekend after the tornado. There is no way that the pics can really show the devistation caused by the tornado. Thankfully, no one lost their life.

An Anderson, In. resident.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home